My best girlfriend, Marni, talked me into doing the Four Seasons Cool 5k early this morning. I don't know how I did it. I haven't run since my brother came for a visit earlier this month, but it was a lot of fun! And supported a good cause, Baylor Cancer research and treatments. I ran for my daddy and his current battle with cancer.
Marni and I made a pack to just take it easy (since this was her first race and I hadn't been running for a month) and try to finish under 35-40 minutes. The course was a little bit more hilly than we would have liked but slow and steady wins the race, right?!
We started running which for the first 1/2 mile was up hill and didn't stop for a short walk until after 1.5 miles. We kept our eye on a few people, you know the ones that find in your race and think to yourself "If anything, I have to at least beat that person", which kept the motivation to keep going. It worked great. Although we couldn't keep up with the 80 year old man in the purple shorts! He's die hard! Of course we knew we were no match for all those 12 year olds! Yes, they were finishing in 18 minutes!
After a brief fast walk we charged right back up another tough hill which at this point was really burning the thighs, but we kept running and then once the finish line was approaching we picked up the pace. I was really proud of our race b.c Marni had run more without walking breaks in this race than she has ever before and I was able to not pass out having taken a month long hiatus!!
As we approached the finish line we noticed the timer was nearing the 40 minute mark so we hit the concrete hard core and made sure we finished under 40 minutes...which was our goal! YAY!! In fact, we were so awesome, Christopher missed coming out to find us b.c we were so fast!! He wasn't expecting us until after 45 minutes or so! SO THERE!!
Here's Marni and I after the race and after we picked up all our free food and drink (the best part next to free T-shirts)! We went and found Christopher looking for us out on the course. Despite starting the race at a nippy 60 degrees, we were red hot afterwards!
As we approached the finish line we noticed the timer was nearing the 40 minute mark so we hit the concrete hard core and made sure we finished under 40 minutes...which was our goal! YAY!! In fact, we were so awesome, Christopher missed coming out to find us b.c we were so fast!! He wasn't expecting us until after 45 minutes or so! SO THERE!!
I'm so glad Marni talked me into doing this race. I have wanted to get back into doing 5k's (seeing as I run 3 or more miles when I workout anyway) but it's always sooo much more fun when you have a racing buddy. I'm crazy excited that you want to be buddies with me!! We have decided we are going to do a race a month. Next month's race is the Turkey Trot that we do every year (here and here) and then December will bring either the Jingle Bell Run on the 13th (Rockwall) or the Jog'r Egg Nog'r on the 20th (White Rock Lake). And maybe the Snowman Shuffle on the 10th of January? All 5k's of course! Anyone want to join us?
7 comments:
WOW You are amazing!!! I love the after picture race you too hotties look like you just baked cookies not ran a 5k. Go Go Go!
Thanks for doing it with me, and keeping me going. I would not have gone that fast without ya!! It was fun and I can't wait for the next one. Well, maybe I can. I will have to practice running for longer periods of time. Those pics are awesome. Especially the one where we are warming up. Thank Christopher for that. My legs are burning today. I can barely sit down on the toilet. Haha.
you are amazing! you will NEVER find me running for fun....ever!
good for you, you hot, runnin' mama!
Good on you! I'd be down to run with you if say we were in the same time zone. Glad you got the momentum going and a buddy to run with, it really does help. You'll be doing marathons in no time.
Wow! Great job! I can't stand running, I would never survive!
You are so COOL!! Someday I'm gonna do one of these!
I'll be with you in spirit! I would so run with you if we lived near each other. Maybe we can find a race in April in Utah and get a bunch of hermanas to race (or cheer)?!
Post a Comment