Sunday, June 22, 2008

Round Three!

Well, here we go again...for the third time around (maybe last?)! I've decided to start potty training (learning) Caden! I was never brave enough to try it under 2 years of age with Gavin or Reese b.c I was always HUGE pregnant, achy and didn't want to deal with little bathroom issues with a newborn and breastfeeding. I don't know if Gavin would have done it, but I know Reese was ready...Caden, I'm not sure. He's showing signs, and I'm bored (no newborn challenges this summer), so why not? I'm sure it will take a couple months vs. a week due to his age, however, I'm holding out hope.

Check out Caden's cute little bum! We go cold turkey with the diapers and jump right into "big boy/girl pants" right away. Seems to work well for us with the first two. Not sure about it this time around b.c Caden is about a half year younger than my older kids at this point. Anyone have any experience with this, any advice? We don't do little pottys either, we have little seats for the regular potty. I'd like to avoid moving waste and then having another poopy thing to clean...over and over again.
What better time than the summer though for starting it out. I have trained all my kids in the Spring/Summer b.c we love accidents to happen outside (if we have to have one at all)! Clean up is much nicer. Gavin loved peeing outside too and was a big "encouragement" to help him learn.
I think I gave him 3 or 4 popsicles today! Once we start potty training, not only the diapers go, but so do the regular sippy cups! We don't want too many opportunities for accidents.
It was hot today (when isn't it) so I let him just go for a swim in his little underoo's to cool off. Of course, that made it harder for him to tell if he was having an accident. But one of his sure tell signs is that he stops whatever he's doing and opens wide his legs and just stands there with a face of relief.
Now, if it's number two, he will find some place away from everyone and then squat with a face of urgency. I'm sure you ALL wanted to know about Caden's potty habits! I'm documenting this for fun! I'm sick that way.Here he is working on his aim I suppose. Christopher and I teach our boys to pee sitting down. WAY less "clean up" all over the place to deal with. Until they have mastered the art of cleaning up after themselves, this is our house rule. Fortunately, Gavin is pretty good about this rule. I rarely have to clean up big dried up yellow splashes or puddles. Have you noticed how many different popsicle colors he's had in this one afternoon? I am sooo not above bribery while potty training.
So, did I get any readers that actually made it this far without losing them with all my potty talk? If so, please leave me any advice or encouragement you got! Oh, and Caden's asleep right now in his bed for the night...with a diaper on! I realize I can't go completely cold turkey diaper wise on my almost 22 month old...but I hope to lose the night diaper soon. Or can I? Oh, the conflict!!!

The really sick part about this all (if you haven't already considered this a sick post) is that I'm really excited for this challenge this time around! Bring it ON!!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks as though Caden is enjoying himself hugely. This is great that it is summer and he is starting. Love to see Reese enjoying the summer also. Have Caden watch his brother do it as well as his dad. He will catch on so he can ride his bike just like dad. He wants to be a big boy too.

Anonymous said...

It looks as though Caden is enjoying himself hugely. This is great that it is summer and he is starting. Love to see Reese enjoying the summer also. Have Caden watch his brother do it as well as his dad. He will catch on so he can ride his bike just like dad. He wants to be a big boy too.

Carrie said...

uhh, I don't think I can help at all, but I offer you my encouragement. You will raise the bar for all Mothers!

Kendra Leigh said...

Wow. I'm totally impressed with the way you go about it. Sounds like a positive experience for him- unlike the time I traumatized my oldest after she pooped in the tub for the 100th time. Good luck!
~Hna Portlock

The Whetstone Family said...

Good luck! Love the newly underweared bum look! It makes all their pants/shorts suddenly so loose, though. So far, Sam is still peeing sitting down, and still manages to get it all over! Argh!

Sariah said...

Hey, Kendra...I can't find your email anywhere. Will you send me an invite to your blog?

Michelle said...

wow - you are crazy, but good luck!! i haven't even considered training tyler yet, and he's 27 months. parker was 3 and a half!! but, i agree. summer is the best time. looks like you have a great system that will work for you! keep us updated with "caden's summer potty party 2008!"

Michelle C said...

Well Elder Lloyd has a family! I was just looking at the mission website and saw you had a blog for the fam, so I thought I would check it out. I know the potty training woes, we are going through that right now as well. My wife also does a fun blog if you want to check it out you can go to chudfam.blogspot.com. It's nice to see you are doing well, and look pretty much the same as on the mission, just a little less hair. Hope all continues to go well.
Brian Chudleigh

just jen said...

you are one brave mama...logan is already 2 and potty training is not even a blip on my radar.

in fact, i didn't even potty train connor, colin did. i am pretty lazy.

Brynn said...

Fun fun fun, I let Noah run around naked and he got it. We hardly ever have an accident YEA! That is what I tell everyone let them go around naked. We did use a little potty with Noah and I will not do it with Ellie I hated the cleaning up of the mess and the transition to big potty. Good Luck!

The Little Buckaroos said...

I am soooo with you there sister! It was right before Shane's 2nd birthday, that I was ready to do the training. He has peed and pooped in it, was just trying to get him used to the toilet. I also agree about using the big potty instead of cleaning out that little dish, with Shane I just put the little chair on top of the toilet and let me tell you, that splash guard thing is new territory for me! We were doing great, and then life has happened and I have been slacking. I am trying so hard to get back on track. Good for you for doing it before he turns 2, you are an old pro at this. I was terrible with Shelly, but find myself much more patient with Shane. Could be, I don't want to traumatize him too! I will need all your tips about training a boy, so much different then a girl! I used gummy bears (less messy for me) for bribes, becuase they know that its for going potty only! They were quick in making the connection, since they usually eat popsicles as snacks, but not gummy bears or worms. Good luck, and let me know anything different I can do. I always seem to catch it after the fact, darn it!

Anonymous said...

Oh, little Caden Poo. He looks so darned cute in his undies! I love how his belly falls over his undies in the pic with the hose. So cute! Good luck potty-training this gangsta. :-)

Rebecca Pierce said...

He's so cute in his big boy pants! It is such a complicated decision to potty train or not. Alice was so beyond ready, and I just kept putting it off because I hate the stage when they say they have to go and they mean immediately...I think we are over that now, but still. Anyway, Reece and Ruby have the same swimsuit! I love it! You'll see it on my blog too. It is getting harder and harder to find little girl styles anymore...they just lose the skirt and cutsie patterns when they get into a 6, so I was loving that suit when I saw it early spring.

cherie said...

you go girl!! :)