If you are an Office fan then you'll probably remember the Christmas episode with Dwight and his "Princess Unicorn" scam. You know, the one where he buys out all the seasons popular toy PU dolls and then sells them for an outrageous price. As seen in the video below:
Hilarious!! That is, unless you suddenly find yourself in that situation. I remembered watching this episode and laughing to myself that there were parents out there that would pay such a price for a toy. Wait until after Christmas. No biggie. Do the "IOU" gift.
I never expected to find myself in that predicament especially since 99% of my Christmas shopping is completed before Thanksgiving. Caden was easy peasy to buy for...he's 2. Reese was good with anything My Little Pony, or Disney Princesses (fairies) and only requested the Pony Carnival set from Santa (which was easy to find and Santa came through). Gavin said he didn't care what Santa brought, just bring Legos. So, Christopher and I went on our merry shopping way and collected lots of Legos (the BIG boxes that only come on special occasions) to complete his themed sets.
Then, out of no where 3 weeks before the big day Gavin starts mentioning in letters to Santa (for school, at activities, etc) something about a Star Wars Tank Lego. At first I thought, OK, whatever. He really wont care what Lego's he gets as long as he gets some. Finally, around a week and a half before Christmas that's all he's talking about and so I start to look up what this "Star Wars Tank Lego" really is and possibly return one we already had gotten for this Tank.
Come to find out the Star Wars Republic Fighter Tank is an "exclusive and hard to find" (as stated on Lego.com) Lego set, which of course, was all sold out..EVERYWHERE. I mean, even if they were in stock somewhere, b.c they are a limited edition, only a few stores carried them anyway and they wouldn't be the typical toy stores. I started dropping little hints to Gavin helping him remember that sometimes we don't get everything we want for Christmas. He was cool with this but mentioned that Santa could find a way to get it. AGH! The spirit of "Santa" is magical in our house. It's the one gift (only one from Santa) that you can count on being at the top of your list. And this was Gavin's first year specifying a specific gift from Santa. WHAT TO DO!?!? I mulled over the idea until I decided I better find a way to get it.
I never expected to find myself in that predicament especially since 99% of my Christmas shopping is completed before Thanksgiving. Caden was easy peasy to buy for...he's 2. Reese was good with anything My Little Pony, or Disney Princesses (fairies) and only requested the Pony Carnival set from Santa (which was easy to find and Santa came through). Gavin said he didn't care what Santa brought, just bring Legos. So, Christopher and I went on our merry shopping way and collected lots of Legos (the BIG boxes that only come on special occasions) to complete his themed sets.
Then, out of no where 3 weeks before the big day Gavin starts mentioning in letters to Santa (for school, at activities, etc) something about a Star Wars Tank Lego. At first I thought, OK, whatever. He really wont care what Lego's he gets as long as he gets some. Finally, around a week and a half before Christmas that's all he's talking about and so I start to look up what this "Star Wars Tank Lego" really is and possibly return one we already had gotten for this Tank.
Come to find out the Star Wars Republic Fighter Tank is an "exclusive and hard to find" (as stated on Lego.com) Lego set, which of course, was all sold out..EVERYWHERE. I mean, even if they were in stock somewhere, b.c they are a limited edition, only a few stores carried them anyway and they wouldn't be the typical toy stores. I started dropping little hints to Gavin helping him remember that sometimes we don't get everything we want for Christmas. He was cool with this but mentioned that Santa could find a way to get it. AGH! The spirit of "Santa" is magical in our house. It's the one gift (only one from Santa) that you can count on being at the top of your list. And this was Gavin's first year specifying a specific gift from Santa. WHAT TO DO!?!? I mulled over the idea until I decided I better find a way to get it.
OK, trying to make this story much shorter...I found a guy on Craigslist who knew a guy "ToyWiz" (or shall I call him Dwight?) that had a couple and would sell one to me. These retail on Lego.com for $49.99. I'm not gonna say how much I paid for it b.c it was much more than retail. However, Gavin was one happy little boy Christmas morning opening Santa's gift and now maybe Santa will live on for another year. It was worth it.
I'm sure "ToyWiz" was singing this tune as I rode away with our very own "princess unicorn".
I'm sure "ToyWiz" was singing this tune as I rode away with our very own "princess unicorn".
9 comments:
That was such a funny episode! Ben always wants hard to find stuff, too. How do they find out about these things? Glad Santa came through!
OH so LOVE The Office and that episode was hilarious! I will probably do what you had to do one day! What a great Mom you are! Thanks for your post on my Primary problem, my Aunt said you need to move by me and have Noah in your class, think that is a great idea!
I LOVE the office. Except AFN doesn't play the most recent seasons, so we have to buy them on iTunes if we want to stay up to date.
Pooch, just watch the most current episodes on NBC.com. That's what we do most of the time!
Oh ya, my favorite part of that episode was when Toby bought Darrels from him and then noticed it was a black one!!
i feel your pain about not being able to afford or can't find something and having to tell it to your kid. that's all shelly wanted for christmas---the Wii. we couldn't afford it because i am a poor starving student, and must confess that i would spend more time playing it than on my studies. "santa" wrote a letter and left it in the stocking explaining that the demand was too high and elves couldn't keep up (something about union law not working too much overtime) and that lots of kids were going to not recieve one. if she continue to be good, he would make a special trip out during the summer and deliver one (hence after mom graduated and received our tax refund). its so hard to answer those questions especially when thier strong belief in santa bites you in the ass!
you are a great mom, i would have just been lame and made an excuse.
i will have to show connor that video of gavin when he wakes up tomorrow...
I haven't seen The Office, but I can figure out the reference, lol. Oh well, as you say, at least Santa lives one more Christmas
LOVE the Office! It's our favorite show. We had a similar toy adventure one year with Amber. She wanted a Cabbage Patch Bath Baby. It was a HOT toy that year I, due to the early years in the Marine Corps, had to wait till the payday before Christmas to buy one. WELL, yep you guess it there were NONE to be find, ANYWHERE. We tried our sources all over Cali, and Michigan. I finally found one. She was a bath baby of color, but all was good, she was a bath baby.
Post a Comment