Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A Few Hours with Milo

My conflict was short lived. As you may remember from this post, Milo was a presented to me at the grocery store parking lot by Christopher and the kids. Apparently, while Christopher was getting gas in the car he noticed some people giving away their pups. Typically we just pass on by and most of the time don't even notice. However, what made Christopher stop this time, was the pups color.

Christopher has long stated that when we get a dog (and I always have said never) he wanted a grey whatever the name of it was (see, I don't even keep track of the type of dog he wants b.c I'll never be an owner of one). He was drawn to Milo and of course Reese and Caden especially were all too happy to have one.

After stopping and finding out that all of his shots and worming had been taken care of, he thought, why not?!? He did mention that he was pretty sure his wife (that'd be me) wouldn't let him keep the dog. The lady giving the dogs away said she would gladly take the dog back and find a new home for the dog if that were the case and gave him her number.

Here's the juice of my conflict. I saw the pup and said NO WAY!!! I even made Christopher drive back to the lady. I was upset that Christopher put me in this position of having to deny the kids a dog once it was already in the car and promised to them. They REALLY wanted to keep Milo. I took pity on the pups adorable face and the fact that Caden was just so over joyed. The lady told me to take Milo home and if after the weekend I still didn't want to keep the dog, she'd take him back. I thought I would at least give it a try and show the kids once again, that they are not ready to be solely responsible for a pet. 'Cuz everybody knows MOM is the one that takes on a pet!!!

The kids had soooo much fun playing with him in the backyard. And he really was cute. Caden was the most taken by him and I briefly thought, Milo is the answer to Caden's madness! Milo will bring balance and a little buddy for him! However, within an hour of having him in our house, I just couldn't bring myself to let me kids get enamoured with him only to take him back. I knew, deep in my heart, that now wasn't the right time. There is just too much going on in our little home right now to bring in (as my friend Rebecca commented) another child, basically! So......

That's right, we took her back to her owners who before we left the parking lot, had already given her away to another loving home. I have learned from this ordeal however, that I am not so dead set against a dog for a pet. I just need my children to get a little older and upgrade the square footage of our house. So, in a few years, I will consider it once again! In other words, all was not lost in our few hours with Milo and the tears are well dried. I think I might even regret giving her away (just a wee bit).

P.S. It's a Blue-Haired Weimaraner. That's the dog Christopher wants.

8 comments:

The Little Buckaroos said...

oh my, look at Gavin's crocodile tears! how did caden take it? i almost think you should get milo back!

Chelsea said...

He is cute, but that is some serious commitment. We were all taking bets as to whether Christopher was going to live through the night :) Your brother would have been dead meat!!!
I'm glad to see that it has softened your heart for possibility in the future, though.

Are you still coming our way soon???

just jen said...

i am so glad this ended well...you are better than me, because you think that you will get a dog someday, i still say, NEVER!!

Brynn said...

I am not a dog person so I agree with you! After Moby I am afraid we won't have pets again either, too much work for MOM! Poor kids though buy them an ice cream it will make them forget all about old what's his name!

Stefanie said...

That might be the saddest face EVER!! Sweet Gavin.

I will say Sariah, that I'm not a dog fan as I might have stated several times and YES it is the mom who, when the biggest kid in the house wants a dog and then leaves for 7 months at a time, has to feed, water and pick up poop. BUT once you get one they some how get under your skin and then your hooked. Good thing you invoked the 5 second rule! It's not just for dropped food you know.

Gma & Pa Haslam said...

Sorry Christopher and the kids. Got to side with Sariah on this. It is a lot of work right now.

The Whetstone Family said...

Whew! What a hard decision to have to make. It is a ton of work, though! Maybe get the kids some sort of robodog or something!

Rebecca Pierce said...

Wow, that is quite the post. I have been wondering, but not checking blogs to find out! I love that kind of dog too, they are super loyal and sweet, but big...they aren't too stinky either, because of the short hair. We have some of those dogs in my extended family and they are beloved. I can't believe that they were giving them away. Anyway, I think it is a great idea to wait until they are older, maybe when you get baby hungry...not to be combined with young children, really.