Monday, November 10, 2008

Crawl...Slither...Swim

The Dallas Museum of Nature & Science had their Reptile Fest 2008 this past weekend as part of their Family Festivals. I knew Gavin and especially Caden would not want to miss it, so we packed up the car and made an adventure out of it.


I'm not a big fan of things that slither, crawl or swim. Did I mention slither? Yeah, really don't like those. Reese was right along with me. We sat back and watched the boys hold and touch SNAKES!

Caden was a little apprehensive at first (most likely due to some of my irrationalities) but once he had touched one for himself he had no fear and loved being able to touch various snakes. He wanted to take one with him. Now I just need to get it through his 2 year old head that their ARE very dangerous, venomous snakes out here in Texas. So, I just have to freak out about snakes again to make sure he stays away from ALL snakes! EW! Creep me out just writing about them!

Gavin liked seeing and learning about all the reptiles but mostly just touched with one finger. Do not blame you one bit Gavin!

Most were in boxes and a few were out of boxes for the touching and holding pleasure. Not mine!


Gavin took some shots on the camera of some of his favorite reptiles. Like this coral snake.

Here is some type of salamander. I can't remember the name and Gavin is at school at the moment so I can't ask.

Of course there has to be a picture of a big giant boa constrictor snake. This thing looks like a newborn compared to the mother load of a snake we saw here:

This was the best shot I could get without peeing my pants. Caden ended up trying to give it a hug!!

Poor Reese was just as frightened as her mommy and ran for daddy's arms! Why not spend time with the turtles!?!?

We took a little reptile detour to check out a new body works exhibit we hadn't seen yet on display. With this one, the kids had fun watching their bodies temperatures rise (and turn red on the tv).

Ever rub your hands (put together) along chicken wire? It's the weirdest sensation!! My hands felt like playdoh! - Gavin.

Everyone had to have a picture in this body suit. Caden here.

Reese.

Gavin.

Some of our favorite exhibits were watching (with demonstrations, mind you) how and why you vomit (as seen on the extremely short video above), how and why you poop, how and why mucus forms in your nose...

There was even a giant nose with nostrils to demonstrated the powerful force a sneeze has. The air we sneeze leaves our bodies at around 100 mph while only 4 mph when we sniff. Cool stuff!

Family photo shot! That's me in the background on the right. Or about how I felt after all the reptiles!

Back on tour with the reptiles, we took in a small presentation.

That quickly turned into a wrestling match with the boys! Yes, we are that annoying family that always is making nosies and not paying our full attention.

Finally the turtles! I can do turtles. Since don't like to touch them though. Finally something bigger than Caden!

Here is a soft back turtle. Did you know such a turtle existed? They are fast! Christopher boasts that he would "catch them all the time when I was growing up"!

Not a reptile, but Caden thought this mammoth was a dinosaur. Caden is such a nut for anything dinosaurish. If only I was a little ridiculous with my money I would buy this for him!

There were tons of little activity stations are both buildings. These are a few we hit up. Here the kids made "Gator Grips".

While in the "Member's Only" room (any body else think of those jackets back in the 80's when they hear that phrase?) the kids made "Croc Caps" complete with a fierce row of teeth. Reese (above) beholding such fierce teeth!
Caden had a melt down during snack time (free for members) so when it came time to make his hat it went like this. Lady: would you like me to make a nose? Caden: NO! L: Oh, well, how about some eyes? C: NOO! L: Well, I know, I bet you would like some teeth on your hat! C: NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Finally I say, listen, regardless of what he wants just put everything on it b.c when we walk out of here and his doesn't look like this siblings, he will invoke the end of the world!

Gavin and Reese made "Coral Snake Bracelets".

Sporting their slithery jewelry.

Here the kids learned about Lizards in Texas and then made their very own "Lizard Marionette".

Finished product.

We had a very fun and full Saturday morning. Having a membership to the Dallas Museum of Nature & Science is so much fun for our little family. During the summer we are here at least every other week. But the perks, like these Family Fun days, free Fair passes, the reciprocity to over 260 museums and science centers all over the world (which we have used in WA, OR, many places TX, and OK)and such as sooo worth the annual membership.

My highlight of our trip.... NO STROLLERS!! Could we really be done with those!?!? It was sooo nice not having to use one.


6 comments:

just jen said...

snakes=creepy

you are brave to go in the same room with all those loose snakes...scary.

and yeah for no more strollers!

i think we are almost there too!

Brynn said...

Wow what a day! You must be exhausted, but it looks like you had a great time! I too would have been not too happy about the snakes!

Gma & Pa Haslam said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Great pass deals.

The Whetstone Family said...

Ugh, I'm with you on the snakes thing. Looks like a fun day, though! Before I forget, Ben's guitar shirt was from Old Navy. We're big Old Navy and Target shoppers!

Niki The Weav said...

That looks awesome!! I wish we would have known about it. Adam would have loved it! Maggie and Isaac might have. You guys looked like you had a great time. You're a great mommy to take them when you don't like snakes.

Carrie said...

Love your favorite exhibits, really. No one ever talks about it, but kids ought to know.