Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Dentist...the Menace

AAAAAHHHHHHHHH!! I dread going to the dentist!! No, not for myself, I've been fortunate and never had a cavity...but going to the dentist with Gavin is TORTURE...to my checkbooks bottom line!! My children and the dentist aren't friends. Remember Gavin's last fillings...it was such an ordeal I had to make TWO posts to cover the experience Part I and Part II. However, that experience doesn't even begin to describe the mess this mouth is in now!!

We learned that Reese's teeth are just dandy (let us pray it's my genetics with her teeth) and Gavin's are rotting to pieces. Literally! Who knew baby teeth would cost so much to keep IN your mouth!!
The work needed to be done in his mouth will need to be done in TWO appointments, maybe even THREE if all the work that needs to be done can't be fit into the two!! INSANE!! Poor kid! He'll need two or three crown caps on the top row and two on the bottom and at least one of his front teeth pulled, if not both! I can't even begin to explain the mess in his mouth! I wish I could just save all this money and just buy him a lifetime supply of Veneers for this permanent teeth! Oh, which by the way, are not coming down/up anytime soon as the good dentist put it, "are scared to venture out". I have a feeling the "tooth fairy" is gonna have to make big for this next trauma!!! Heaven help us!!

Reese's teeth on the other hand are in great shape! Fortunately, her Dragon Tooth experience hadn't scarred her for life with the dentist! She managed to get a cleaning and check up without crying or freak outs!
I love her skepticism and apprehension with meeting with the dentist again since her dragon tooth!And then her nervous, scared, fake smile afterwards! HAHA! So funny!
She did fine though and afterwards the kids got the usual, new toothbrush and paste and then headed off to the "treasure chest" to get a toy prize!
We'll keep you posted as the drama unfolds! Now I'll just pray Reese's teeth stay strong (Gavin already had cavities at her age) and Caden follows suit! Gavin's mouth more than makes up for all 3 of them!! He's a good sport about it though! Never complains...maybe I should take his lead!

7 comments:

just jen said...

connors's 2 front teeth are fake...we had to get them pulled 2 years ago because of cavities. that only cost $1000!!! it was so hard to hand that money over when i knew that they were only baby teeth, but i also didn't want him walking around with no teeth for 4 years. needless to say i am a toothbrushing nazi now. i hope logan's teeth are better.

Sariah said...

Really!?!? How does that work? Maybe I'll do fake front teeth for Gavin and one for Reese. Reese wont have hers come in for another 3 years or so. The dentist also said Gavin still has another 2 years before she sees his coming on down! $1000 is a bargain at this point!! Please give me the deets!!

MM said...

Sariah, you have to tell me where you go for a dentist for your kids. Caden has never been and I'm so scared. I HATE the dentist myself. (I was fine until I had a baby and then my teeth fell apart.) Anyway, let me know sometime. You are now my official GO TO girl when I need suggestions...LOL.

Poor Gavin. What a trooper!

Brynn said...

Your kiddos are troopers I am embarrassed to say that we have yet to take Noah to the dentist because I know the fit that would be and I am just dreading it! Also LOVE Reese's dress!

The Whetstone Family said...

Oh, man! Poor guy. I know how that goes--I also have bad teeth genes. So far, our kids have been spared, though. Good luck!

Carrie said...

Poor kid. I hope it's just him. Although it's wierd to say that. At least he seems brave enough to take it on. Our poor kid will probably suffer. Will takes excellent care of his teeth, but he's always at the dentist for a root canal or some type of oral surgery. I still get cavities.

just jen said...

the fake teeth were put in by the dentist, when he extracted the bad ones...did your dentist not offer that option? maybe it's because you're in texas...HAHA!!

we were going to a pediatric dentist when this all happened (2 years ago), so maybe regular dentists don't offer that kind of stuff...i don't know.