Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Our New Favorite Christmas Tradition

I read THIS Tradition POST last year and thought it was such a clever idea! So, this year we have put this Christmas Book Advent of sorts to the test, and it is passing with flying colors with the kids in this house. What we did was group all of our Christmas books together (that usually are only pulled out around this time of year) and then we filled in the gaps with library books. Ideally you would want to come up with 24 books and start at the beginning of the month, but really you could do it with 12 or whatever number you wanted. I didn't get myself together for this project until the 3rd, so we have 21 books and started with #3. You wrap each book (dollar store wrapping paper all the way!!!) and number them 1-24 and stick them under the tree. The idea is that each night before bedtime the kids get to unwrap one of the books and read it during nighttime story time, up until Christmas Eve. We are already finding the anticipation of each day almost the same as Christmas morning and seems to keep the kids asking me "how many more days until Christmas again" several times a day! It's like they are living Christmas morning each day b/c we have forgotten which books we wrapped and the corresponding number! It's also nice to have something under the tree. We typically save everything (except packages from family and such) until Christmas morning, as the wee ones like to rip apart anything they shouldn't. I love it! I also love how much I am learning from my fellow bloggers! My family and I are truly benefiting! And b/c our family is still so young, we have years and years of more traditions to try out and keep the those that fit our family!

7 comments:

Michelle said...

i agree...i have learned so much from my fellow bloggers! it's like each one is an online magazine with great articles! you are doing better than i am with wrapping all of yours...this year i made a simple fabric bag out of christmas fabric and we switch the book out every night. it's not as much fun as the paper, i've discovered.

Gma & Pa Haslam said...

What a wonderful idea, especially using library books to fill in the gaps on books that you already have.

The Whetstone Family said...

Great idea! I love Christmas traditions!

The Little Buckaroos said...

What a neat idea!! I don't think that I will be able to do it this year becuase of our little Holiday destroyer (Shane) but will definitely do it next year when we can have the tree up for a whole month instead of 10 days before christmas becuase of Shane getting into things. I can't wait to try this next Christmas!

Brynn said...

That is a great idea! I think that is something I will try next year as well. When the kids are a bit bigger it will be fun! I will probably have more fun then them :0)

chelsea said...

Hey Sariah, I've been a lurker on your blog for a little while... sorry about that! You do such a good job on your blog. Your kids are so darn cute, I can't believe how big Gavin is, granted we haven't seen you for a long time, but still... This is such a great idea... i'm totally going to do it. I wish I had read this prior to today, but I don't think we're too late to do it for the 12 days of Christmas... thanks for the great ideas!

Carrie said...

I'm 100% certain you don't learn from my ghetto blog, but I have been getting a lot of ideas from you. Hopefully I remember them when I finally have some kiddos.