Thursday, June 10, 2010

Bells Canyon Hike

This past Memorial Weekend Christopher and I decided that we should introduce our children to a real mountain hike vs Texas trail hiking. Christopher picked Bells Canyon in Little Cottonwood Mountain.

I was sure the hike would be too much for the kids the first go round, however, they proved to be true troopers and made their daddy super proud. We got to the end and they wanted to keep going to the top of the snow caps! I on the other hand, was happy to be finished. I was worked!!

The trail was completely vertical (no switchbacks to my dismay, going 4100 feet) and full of huge rocks and erosion, which made for tricky maneuvering on Bear's part.

I was sure we were experiencing a little slice of heaven however when we came across these wild blue bonnets not too much after we started the hike.

Reese especially liked seeing the variety of wild flowers. We really miss seeing all the flowers of Texas along side highways and such.

We could see our neighborhood and Temple from across the valley from one point on the trail.

Due to some fantastic weather it wasn't too long before we needed a water break and this spot was just the place. Tree covered with a cool breeze coming from the river.

We picked a blue bonnet and stuck it in Reese's hat. In Texas we couldn't do that b.c it's the State Flower and protected by law. It was awesome carrying around a little bit of heaven.

The boys were in love with the fact that ants do not bite here. As Bear would say, "dees nice ants".

Gavin found a boulder recliner and waited for us grown ups to catch up with him on the trail.

Climbing trees too.

Flies mating on Reese's hair and couldn't be bothered to leave or stop with my shooing! Nature at it's best!

Once we got to the reservoir we kept trucking around and found a spot to picnic.

We finally found the waterfall and the kids got their reward.







Funny how I have all these shots of the kids, but none of the actual falls OR the reservoir. Oh well.

It was at this point on the trail head back down that Bear proclaimed, "mommy, we're in LOST". Those who watch the show know what he means. It was getting kind of dense and he was pretending we were the characters on LOST. Yes, we are fanatics. Christopher even cried during the season finale. Best show on television, ever.


The hiking back was much more rewarding. Downhill. It was beautiful.

Lady bug collecting.

Oh, here's a bit of the reservoir in the background. I don't know how Christopher hiking with kids taking turns on his shoulders. Couldn't have something to do with the fact that he's also running a marathon this weekend...he's fit. I'm not.

Flower collecting.

I like this picture of Bear b.c he looks so much like a little toddler with those baby cheeks that I'm sure he'll never grow out of!


Christopher made sure we have plenty of tunes to hike. Jacko was just the one who helped me complete this hike!

I took a little piece of heaven/Texas home with me.

Gavin took a beetle bug home with him! NOT COOL!!!

4 comments:

Brynn said...

love it! i love cbears LOST description, definitely the BEST show! and ew the the beetle!

The Whetstone Family said...

What a fun day! We need to do something like that. And I just started watching Lost last summer online and got all caught up until this last season! Very addictive. Gross beetle!

just jen said...

is that a real beetle! so gross!

Rebecca Pierce said...

I'm a little shaken by that last pic! I don't have any idea how you possibly have the patience to post that many pictures. They are all so fun though, what a great family hike and with a little MJ to boot!