Monday, February 12, 2007

13.1 in 1:45:08

He did it! He braved the 40+ degree weather and finished his half marathon (13.1 miles) at 1:45:08. Christopher was hoping to finish around 1:45:00 and did! The race was a bit more difficult than he imagined it would be (this was his first long distance race) being that he got bored half way into it and wished that he had his mp3 player to keep his mind busy. With that, he thinks he could have pulled off a better time. Lesson learned. He finished 7th for his age group (24-29) out of 30 and 95th overall with 550 runners. I'd say that was a pretty good first run. It averaged to be a 8:03 mile over 13 miles. He runs 7:23 miles at home for 9 to 10 miles....so basically those last 3 miles killed him! While he was running those last miles he thought to himself how he never wants to run a half again, however, after finishing the race and receiving his rush...that has changed.


For finishing in the top 100 he received a medal (see pic) and so naturally we had to run right over to IHOP to celebrate. Christopher loved walking in with his "e-stretchy pants" (again, think Nacho Libre) and getting lots of looks. He just reminded everyone that "its for fun". I like this picture too because it has Reese stealing Christopher's pancakes off his plate while he was posing with his medal. HA...true Reese form. Also on hand for the celebration was Tyler (Christopher's brother) and his girlfriend Amanda.
Next on the race agenda is Christopher's triathlon on the 10th of March and my Azalea 10k also in March on the 24th. Christopher will do well once again and I'm just hoping I can finish my race, as training has been a little slow (see people update post). I'm really just excited to be running around a blooming flower garden for a few hours!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! Rock on, Christopher! Love the tights, man. Love the tights. :) No, seriously, you ran a good time. You should definitely go for a marathon next. There is a half marathon in June that I want to do. However, right now I am a weekend warrior when it comes to running so I need to make some changes before that can happen. Keep up the good work, Christopher!....and watch out for those pancakes...

Anonymous said...

Awesome Christopher. Keep up the good work. Better than I EVER ran even in school.

Michelle said...

go, christopher! that is very exciting. and yay for you, s-dogg, for taking on a 10k in March! inspirational! looks like a fun time.